Economic Developers within the Southern Virginia Regional Alliance quickly moved to form a COVID-19 Emergency Task Force to monitor COVID-19 and collect information on economic resources for Southern Virginia companies. Below is a list of programs and resources currently available. We will continue to populate this list with additional resources as they become available.
Find vital information on the status of COVID-19 regulations and support. Many local programs are governed and have allocations flow through the states subject to federal guidelines. This is an ideal starting point for assistance, further enhanced by non-governmental state resources as well as federal and local information.
Commonwealth of Virginia - Coronavirus (COVID-19) measures to ensure the health and safety of Virginians.
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Executive Order Fifty-Three - Important updates to businesses and individuals on March 24, 2020 Executive order 53 from Governor Northam.
- Executive Order Fifty-Five from Governor Northam - Temporary Stay at Home Order
Virginia Department of Health - Continual updates on the latest numbers and information relevant to COVID-19.
Virginia Chamber - Comprehensive overview of resources to ensure your business and your employees have necessary information.
Virginia Employment Commission - Information on the latest changes to benefits application processes and requirement changes due to COVID-19, unemployment process, and office closings.
Virginia Department of Education - provides division and building-level administrators, school health coordinators and educators with ready access to up-to-date resources and information about COVID-19 and the steps schools should take to safeguard the health of students and staff.
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles - Updates on DMV procedures affected by office closures
Virginia Department of Taxation - Tax-related coronavirus updates including relief for taxpayers affected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic
Virginia Economic Developers Association (VEDA) - News and resources from VEDA the voice of economic development in Virginia.
GENEDGE - Information and resources for Virginia manufacturers
Center for Disease Control and Prevention - As the nation's health protection agency, the CDC is the main source of information for health, safety, and security threats.
Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers from the CDC - Plan, prepare and respond to coronavirus disease
Coronavirus.gov - Community resources, virus updates, and small business guidance
U.S. Small Business Administration - Small business guidance & loan resources
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program Application - small business owners are eligible to apply for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan advance of up to $10,000. Funds will be made available within three days of a successful application, and this loan advance will not have to be repaid.
- SBA Express Bridge Loans - allows small businesses who currently have a business relationship with an SBA Express Lender to access up to $25,000 with less paperwork.
- Government Contracting - is focused on assisting with the continuity of operations for small business contracting programs and small businesses with federal contracts.
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- SBA Products and Resources
- Local Assistance
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) - Guidance on preparing workplace on COVID-19
U.S. Department of Labor Coronavirus Resources - Resources to help workers and employers prepare for the COVID-19 virus
IRS Coronavirus Relief - The IRS has established a special section focused on steps to help taxpayers, businesses and others affected by the coronavirus.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Combating the coronavirus resources for businesses
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency - Memorandum On Identification Of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During Covid-19 Response
- Hunton Andrews Kurth Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Center - Collection of resources to help clients understand and respond to the legal implications of this global health emergency
- Hunton Andrews Kurth Government Relations and Economic Development Pandemic Resource Center - Resources dedicated to government relations and economic development
- Hunton Andrews Kurth Small Business Association 7(a) Loan Program - An Overview of the Small Business Association 7(a) Loan Program and Summary of Other CARES Act SBA Provisions
- Virginia Career Works – West Piedmont Region
- Virginia Manufacturers Association (VMA) - Updates from the VMA for Virginia’s manufacturing sector, its employees and supply chain.
- Verizon and LISC COVID-19 Recovery Fund - Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and Verizon are offering grants of up to $10,000, especially to entrepreneurs of color, women-owned businesses and other enterprises in historically under-served places who don’t have access to flexible, affordable capital.
Local and Regional
The latest information on local and regional support, office closings, and webinars and outreach to businesses and citizens.
- Patrick County
- Patrick County Chamber of Commerce
- Martinsville City and Henry County - informational page authorized by Henry County, the Henry County Public Service Authority, and the City of Martinsville to serve as a community resource on the latest updates regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Martinsville Henry County Chamber of Commerce
- Pittsylvania County
- Danville City
- Danville Pittsylvania County Economic Development - In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Danville and Pittsylvania County have put together a running list of resources for regional businesses.
- Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce
- Halifax County
- Halifax County Chamber of Commerce - Covid-19 member resources including member updates, small business resources, local health updates, and educational resources.
Recorded: SBA Details of the Economic Injury Loan Process Recording
Recorded: SBA Filling out the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) Application Recording
Recorded: Halifax County Chamber of Commerce: COVID-19 Halifax County Employer Briefing Recording
Recorded: SBDC- Lynchburg Region: Tips & Tricks for Working From Home Recording
Recorded: SBA - Economic Injury Disaster Loan Recording
March 31 at 12:15 PM - SBDC- Lynchburg Region: Good Hiring Processes When You Are Hiring Online Register
April 2 at 12:15 PM - SBDC- Lynchburg Region: Understanding and Mitigating Supply Chain Risks Remotely Register
April 2 at 2:00PM - VEDP Legal Considerations During Uncertain Times Register
April 9 at 2:00 PM - VEDP Export Financing During Uncertain Times Register
April 16 at 2:00 PM - VEDP Global Trade Disruptions: What Businesses Should Know About Tariffs, Trade Actions, and Supply Chains Register
Regional News Articles:
- Dan River Region leaders discuss local response to virus
- Springfield Distillery shifts production to hand sanitizer
- Patrick Henry Community College's Fab Lab makes protective face shields for medical workers
- IDA board addresses economic downturn - Coronavirus-related updates pertaining to small businesses
- Coronavirus brings distilleries, NASCAR full circle
- Martinsville shop goes into mask production to address shortage of medical-grade masks for hospitals and nursing homes
COVID-19 Task Force Members: Corrie Bobe, City of Danville Economic Development; Brian Brown, Halifax County IDA; Matt Rowe, Pittsylvania County Economic Development; Bryce Simmons, Patrick County Economic Development; Mark Gignac, Institute for Advanced Learning and Research and Linda Green, Southern Virginia Regional Alliance.